Release the Beast!

The same problem always hits me after completing a cool project: What do you do next?

After Ruin, I needed something else to focus on. Though my friend has been pestering me endlessly to finally start work on those 56 doom reavers that he wants me to paint, I wanted something a bit less mind-numbing. So my eye turned to Beast 09.

I had already done an alternate pose for Beast a couple of years ago, but I had never found the time to paint him. And even though he didn’t look too bad, he was missing something for me. And not at all on the same level as Ruin. So, back to the chopping block.

I decided to keep the general pose of the model, but try and do something a bit more inspired with the axe. In digging up the model, though, I found out that there were other things that needed adjusting. As I said, the model was made a couple of years ago and apparently, I wasn’t as focused on pinning as I am now. The pins used in the model were just too thin for my current taste. It’s not that it won’t hold, but I don’t think it will be sturdy enough to stand the rigor of lots of transportation and lots of games being played with the model.

The problem with pins is that you can’t simply remove them. They have been glued for a long time now and the glue is rock solid by now. When you try to remove the pins, they will just break off (believe me, I tried). You can’t drill through the pins, because they are too hard. So the only option left was to drill an extra hole next to the existing pin.

Now, this is some pretty expert pinning. I do not advice it if you don’t have the necessary experience. There is very little material in the legs to begin with and it’s even less with 2 pins running through there parallel to each other. The end result is better than I expected, though. Apart from the foot not aligning perfectly to the shin, I think it looks pretty convincing.

Next came the arm. I didn’t really like the raised axe in the first pose, so I decided to put it more into a side sweep. I thought it would fit the pose if he was jumping up, trying to hit some kind of flying monster that thought it was high enough to be safe. So, more cutting and re-pinning. A lot of pinning. With the old pins in place, I needed to add a few extra ones on odd places, to make the arm sturdy enough to support whatever monster I wanted Beast to be hitting. As I have said before: never rely on superglue to give strength to a model.

The axe had to be repositioned in the hand as well. This took 2 pins. The first to provide the strength to hold up the victim. The second one (which was thinner) to keep the big pin from rotating in the drilled hole.

And then I needed a poor monster to be hit with an axe. There really isn’t that much choice in flying models in the warmachine/hordes range. I didn’t want a legion beast because they are too skinny. The Archidon was too bulky for my purpose. The Griffons fit perfectly. I chose a Rotterhorn, because of it’s facial expression.

To give the model the impression of being hit by an axe, I cut it up into tiny bits. The main body was severed at the waist. Both arms were cut at the elbows and all the toes had to be cut and pinned separately (yeah, I know. Sometimes I wonder how crazy pinning can get).

Everything was put together and then came the posing. The pins really help here. They allow you to do gentle nips and tucks until the pose is exactly right. I do like the final pose of the Rotterhorn being hit flat in the chest. It really shows of the impact. The facial expression adds to this

Final step was some greenstuff sculpting to fill the gaps left by the reposing and all the drilling.

Ready for the painting table (after I have finished painting Butcher)