Trollslaying

The problem with putting a troll on your base is that at some point, you will have to paint said troll. An dof course, you can’t rush this, because he has to look as good as the actual model that is smashing his face.

So, first up, I started with masking the parts that had already been painted. The base was still neatly sealed behind a layer of liquid latex, but the 'jack arm that is attached to the base needed some masking tape to cover it completely. It would be a shame getting overspray on the nicely painted sunbursts.

Basecoat was once again charred brown. Even though I wanted the troll to be painted blue. I really like a dark brown base coat for cold colors, because it will stop the models from looking too cartoony. I know I’m a fan of cartoony paint jobs, but there is a difference between a larger-than-life color scheme and painting a giant Smurf. Somehow, the brown base coat makes the troll look more... real? My excuses, I apparently don’t have a picture of this, but I’m quite sure you will be able to imagine what an undercoated model would look like.

The first coat over that was Model Air French blue, to get the basic tone down. I deliberately left the brown showing in the shadows, to give the model a lot more depth. It is a little known fact that you get richer shadows if you use the opposite color instead of plain old black.

Next came a coat of Model Air UK azure. It is a blueish grey, that tones down the technicolor blue smurf look. Apart from making the troll look more gritty, it also helps to visually push the troll to the background. Giving him a color that is in line with the base, people tend to start seeing him as part of the base. It would be sad if people looked at the finished model and all the attention would be drawn to the bright blue thing on the base, in stead of the monster smashing his face in.

Then it was back to the brushes. But first, it was time to take off the latex. Because I put it on rather thickly, it comes off really easily.

With that out of the way, I first painted a glaze of black to fortify the shadows.

Next , I pumped up the highlights with Game Color Wolf Grey. This makes the model pop.

The rocks on the troll’s skin were first painted with Game Color Steel grey, then highlighted with Game Color Wolf grey and finished off with a tiny bit of Game Color Dead White.

The loincloth was first painted white and then I glazed it with Game Color Bone White and Game Color Khaki, to get a nice white cloth look.

For the tartan, I looked up a tartan with mostly blue and white colors and found the Lewis Navy tartan to suit my needs.

Now, painting a tartan is not that hard actually, provided you can draw straight lines with your brush. First, I you paint the lines in 1 direction I used a mixture of 50% Game Color Ultramarine Blue and 50% Game Color Dead White.

Then, you paint the lines in the other direction with the same color.

To finish it off, I took pure Game Color Ultramarines blue and painted the parts where the stripes overlap.

This is about the part where I stopped taking pictures of the other things. It was mainly painting the leather and painting the chains and other metal parts on the troll. We’ll get back to that part later, when I am painting Ruin.

With that done, here is the finished troll (sorry for the pun).

Next up: blood and souls.