Jump up, jump up (and get down)

A small update on Ruin.

The main thing I wasn’t sure about on Ruin’s original pose were his legs. They just seemed off. Legs are a pretty important part of the model though, especially in jumping models. They can really define or break the overall pose of the model.

My first idea was to have him pulling his legs up, like in the model I used as inspiration. The problem is that Warjacks have such big fore-arms and such tiny hips, that it just wasn’t possible to fit the legs next to those massive arms.

The second option (one provided by Soul Samurai on the Privateerpress forums) was to have him extend his legs forwards.

This ran into the same problem, though. Just not enough room next to the big arms. Besides, I was afraid it might look a bit too comical for a murdering machine like Ruin.

Option C then: back to the original plan. It turned out that with the absurd pose of the model I had chosen, extending the legs backwards was the only way I could fit everything on there. It also gives him an even more dynamic pose, I think. In stead of jumping up and hitting something, this has him looking like he is jumping from a cliff or other high point, putting his full weight into the stroke. Sorry, I don’t have a good picture of what I have in mind here. So instead, here’s an adorable baby Polar bear.

So, back to the legs. Because they still looked out of place. The biggest problem there was in the feet. The feet looked like they were still standing on the ground, although they were hanging in mid-air. So out came the knifes!

I cut the green parts from the leg away. Then, I re-attached the foot to the knee with some brass rods. The cool thing about Warjacks is that these are usually connected by pistons, so if you are careful not to cut the thicker part on the top away (and if you accidentally do, a tiny bit of greenstuff does wonders), a 1 mm rod and a 1,5 mm rod are all that you need to make it look like the real thing. I positioned the foot like it was extended to the back more, more in line with the rest of the lower leg.

The toe was also attached with a brass rod. It was tilted down, to give it more of a jumping feeling. Greenstuf was used to make the transition between toe and foot. To finish it all off, I put a bit of brass rod in the back of the foot and sculpted the heel around this, also pointing it down a bit.

And with that, the legs are ready. Sorry, no pictures of the legs on the rest of the model yet. You will have to wait until I finished it all (yes I know, I am a tease). I do have a picture of all the separate parts, though. Just to prove that I’m a tease.

Now on to sculpting blood and gore.